Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Quads stretch: this is a simple, fast and effective stretch, with a roller for the muscles at the front of the thigh.
- in standing, lumbar spine neutral, feet hip width apart with knees slightly bent,
- upright roller should be beside you, with palm of one hand resting lightly on top.
- using one hand on top of the roller for balance,
- bend opposite leg at the knee and lift the heel towards the buttocks, using your free hand to hold the leg at the ankle,
- you should feel the stretch at the front of the thigh,
- hold for 20-30 seconds,
- move roller to the other side of your body ,
- repeat the quads stretch with a roller on the other leg.
- keep the knee of the leg that you are standing on slightly bent throughout stretch,
- try to keep weight into the heel of this foot as well, to help with balance,
- if you can’t reach your ankle with your hand to hold the stretch, use a heavy resistance thera-band, or towel, looped around the ankle to assist,
- take your hand from the roller if you want to test your balance further,
- take your thigh further behind you to increase the stretch but maintain a neutral lumbar spine,
- keep your neck and shoulders relaxed throughout.
- try a quads release/massage on the roller on the floor especially post exercise.