This is a simple but very effective balance exercise that you can perform with or without shoes.
Stand side-on to a wall (or heavy, stable piece of furniture) within reaching distance.
- Place your right foot directly in front of your left foot, leaving about half a foot’s distance in between.
- Keep your knees slightly flexed, neutral lumbar spine and breathe normally.
- Maintain for 30+ seconds.
- Swap feet over and repeat.
You will wobble, but your arms can be lifted out to the sides if you need them to help you with this balance exercise.
• Turn your head slowly to the right, then back to the centre, then slowly to the left.
• Repeat x5. Repeat with the other foot in front.
• Close your eyes and balance for 30+ seconds.
• Close your eyes and turn your head as above.
• Do the basic balance workout.