Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced.
This basic warm up routine consists of some simple stretches and gentle range of motion movements to prepare your body for your workout. Easing into any exercise routine is always a great idea and these light intensity movements are perfect as they are relevant to the exercises that you are about to do.
Ensure that when you are performing this routine that you move in a range that is comfortable and aim for a moderate stretch, especially at the neck, where it is ideal to maintain your gentle chin tuck. Hold each stretch for around 20-30 seconds. Use your breathing to transition from one movement to the next as demonstrated in the video.
- feet parallel and hip width apart (determined by starting with feet together, then moving heels away from each other, then moving toes to line up with heels),
- be aware of your posture and think of lengthening your body from the crown of your head. Try to have your body weight spread evenly between the balls and heels of your feet.
- your knees should be straight, but not locked,
- pelvis neutral, low back neutral
- deep tummy contracted at a low level ie <20%,
- shoulder blades contracted a little so that chest is ‘open’
- gently draw chin back (retract), whilst extending the crown of the head up towards the ceiling,
- breathing normally into the diaphragm for several breaths.
- you are ready to begin the basic warm up routine below-
active neck stretch-upper traps
active neck stretch-levator scap
arm elevation and side trunk flexion
active arm elevation- in front
active elevation- arms overhead
active arms- side bend
trunk rotation with pec stretch
active trunk rotation
active trunk rotation with pecs stretch
end range trunk rotation with pecs stretch
quads stretch with roller
lats stretch with roller
calf stretch with roller
For the latest news and access to out exclusive content sign up to our mailing list today!