This is a simple but very effective balance exercise that you can perform with or without shoes.
- Stand side-on to a wall (or heavy, stable piece of furniture) within reaching distance.
- Place your right foot directly in front of your left foot, leaving about half a foot’s distance in between.
- Keep your knees slightly flexed, neutral lumbar spine and breathe normally.
- Maintain for 30+ seconds.
- Swap feet over and repeat.
- You will wobble, but your arms can be lifted out to the sides if you need them to help you with this balance exercise.
Make it harder:
- Turn your head slowly to the right, then back to the centre, then slowly to the left. Repeat x5. Repeat with the other foot in front.
- Close your eyes and balance for 30+ seconds.
- Close your eyes and turn your head as above.
- Do the basic balance workout.