Level: Intermediate, Advanced
This advanced abdominals exercise is a variation of a classic “Dead bug” exercise. You use your roller in your hands overhead whilst you alternate a single leg extension. You will feel your abdominals working and your breathing (as always) is important to avoid using the superficial back muscles.
- Lying on your back on the floor, knees bent, feet and knees hip width apart.
- Roller in your hands, hands at each end.
- Lift the roller over your chest so that hands are directly over your shoulders
- Breathe in and as you breathe out bring your right knee over your right hip.
- On the next breath out, bring your left knee over your left hip.
- Breathe in and oas you breathe out, lower the roller behind your head towards the floor, but don;t touch the floor.
- breathe in and return to the roller over the chest position.
- Continue for x5.
- Then, add in alternating leg extensions. ie Breathe out as you extend your right knee towards the floor as you take the roller behind the head, breathe in as you bend the knee and return to knee over hip position.
- Continue with left leg extension.
- Repeat x 10 each leg.
- 2-3 sets.
- When your knees are over your hips your lower back will naturally flatten towards the floor. Try not to arch it or squash it into the floor but just maintain its position. If you get back pain, put one foot back on the floor and go back to a simpler version of Hands overhead. Alternatively , bring your knees slightly closer to your chest so that you are in more hip flexion.
- Shoulders should just roll in their sockets, keep your neck relaxed.
- Try not to touch the floor with your foot.
Make it Harder: